This article started as “how to take care of houseplants in New York City apartments” until all the houseplants in my apartment died. Every single one. Even the tiny cactus that is “basically indestructible” and “requires no maintenance”. So… Here’s where to get new ones!
But first, we’re going to divide this article into two sections:
Where to buy cheap live plants in New York
They are everywhere once you start looking!
- Amazon – That’s right, you can get more than kitchen utensils from them. They come boxed up and arrive fresh and ready in all sorts of scale!
- The Home Depot – Varying plants of all shapes and sizes, and offer free deliveries for most things over $45
- Lowes – Just like THD, and some people like the quality better
- Union Square Greenmarket – Only on Saturdays and Sundays but you can get some REAL bargains!
- Chelsea Garden Center – I haven’t been to this one yet, but I hear great things (and they can be much more helpful with advice)
Where to buy good looking fake plants in New York
So if you’re anything like me and have a tendency to murder everything green that comes near you, I would suggest looking into some fake plants to supplement those live ones you’re attempting to keep alive.
Before you go “blerk, fake plants” you should know that in the last few years, we’ve come a long way in creating realistic looking fakes… I have one and I think it looks great (arguably it’s a bit big, but it’s like living in the jungle)!
The thing to know: You’re going to be paying a bit for a good looking fake plant. But the up-side is that it’s set and forget, so there’s no need for potting mix, maintenance, or replacing it when it inevitably dies…
- Amazon – Again, but read the reviews and get a bit of a feeling for what you look at because there’s a lot of range!
- Terrain – Some really good quality stuff
- Spring – Some good looking little plants especially
- Home Depot & Lowes – They do good real ones AND good fake ones, but pick through the bunch to make sure
The key is styling. If you plonk it down in your living room, it will look ridiculous (because it doesn’t look like a plant, it looks like a box-shaped green blob). Work it!