If you're planing to move back to Australia from the US, then you may want to set up some bank accounts before you arrive. Getting your money ready and everything in order can help immensely with setting up leases and jobs and all other elements of your life in Australia.
So what are your options to open a bank account from abroad before you get to Australia?
Opening an Australia and New Zealand Bank (ANZ) Account from the U.S.
ANZ Bank provides a range of accounts for international students, businesses, and people who want to visit or live in Australia. These are online-only accounts which allow for special access for new arrivals.
These accounts can all be opened from overseas if you fulfill the required elements. Some are more stringent than others but it's always worth reaching out to the banks directly to see if they can help you.
Requirements to Open an ANZ Account from Overseas
The requirements to open an ANZ account are:
- You will need an Australian residential address
- You can open your account up to a year before you arrive in Australia
- You are 12 years of age or older
- You are not currently a resident of Australia
- You may need to supply foreign tax details
You can open an ANZ account here.
Opening CommBank Account from the U.S.
CommBank offers two different types of account. One is for people who plan to live and work in Australia, and the other is a student account for people who are studying there.
Requirements to Open an CommBank Account from Overseas
The requirements to open an CommBank account are:
- You do not require an Australian address to create your account
- You can create an account up to three months before arriving in Australia
- You will need to be at least 14 years old
- You are opening the account in your personal name
You can open an Commbank account here.
Opening a National Australia Bank (NAB) Account from the U.S.
NAB allows you to open an account online. They offer a NAB Classic Banking account and an optional NAB iSaver account.
Requirements to Open an NAB Account from Overseas
The requirements to open an NAB account are:
- You can open your account up to a year before you plan to arrive in Australia
- You are 18 years of age or older
- You can provide your passport number, email address and visa information
- You will need to know your planned arrival date and city
You can open an NAB account here.
Opening Westpac Bank Account from the U.S.
You can open an account with Westpac up to a year before arriving in Australia. You don’t need an Australian address when you open your account, and you can create an account in fewer than three minutes.
Once Westpac sets up your account, you can deposit funds using international payments and money transfers. You can also use their website to manage your account, set up transfers, bill payments and other areas.
Requirements to Open a Westpac Account from Overseas
The requirements to open an Westpac account are:
- You must be 12 years old or over
- You must arrive in Australia within a year
- The account must be registered and held in your name
- You must complete an identity check within a year, you will not be able to withdraw funds until you do so
- You will request access to online banking and are happy to receive electronic statements
You can open an Westpac account here.