Immigration to the United States 2021

Moving to the United States is an exciting prospect. There are opportunities everywhere but it’s important that you ensure you’ve done everything correctly to make your transition as smooth as possible.

One thing to keep in mind throughout this whole process is to be very mindful of what you post, and what you ask, on social media.

Where to get your U.S. Visa

This question gets asked so many times. It is honestly the reason that I started this website because it was driving me bananas.

I have made a list of all the places that you can get your Visa, and allowed visitors to review how their experience getting the visa was, and rate each location. Click here to go to the list of Visa locations.

You can even add your own!

How to get your U.S. Visa – A step-by-step guide

  1. I am a professional Australian with a Bachelor’s Degree (or equivalent) who wants to work in the US (E3 Visa);
  2. I have extraordinary abilities in the sciences, arts, education, business or athletics OR I’ve had extraordinary achievement in motion picture and television production (O1 Visa);
  3. I’m transfering internally within my company (L1 Visa)
  4. I want to do an exchange program in America (J1 Visa)
  5. I’m wanting to study in the US (F1/M1 Visas);
  6. I just want to visit as a tourist or do some Australian business in the US (ESTA or B1/B2 Visas);

Your Passport & Visa

Once you have your visa firmly secured inside your passport, you’re going to want to keep those in your hot little hands.

If you lose your passport, it’s not that easy to replace and you will in most cases have to repeat the whole process of getting a visa again.

If you do lose your passport while in the US, here’s what to do.

Attorneys & Lawyers

In most if not all cases, having a lawyer or attorney on hand to help you out with your application is going to be essential.

I could repeat some of the information I’ve found but I am wary in case I recommend something that could get you into trouble.

I can recommend Doug Lightman from Lightman Immigration as one fantastic resource for all things immigration for Australians, I also recommend Zjantelle Markel from Cammisa Markel, and I can also highly recommend Tara Gray from Tara Gray Law!

Aside from Doug, Zjantelle, and Tara, use the Communities we’ve listed to find some good advice and get some great other referrals!

Costs for these services can vary significantly so be prepared to talk through your options with your lawyer and know exactly what you’re getting and for how much.

Many offices and businesses do pay for the immigration costs associated with moving you to the US so that is one topic that is worth discussing at some point.

Travel Insurance & Health Insurance

Similar to the legal advice above, travel and/or health Insurance are incredibly important when visiting or living in the US. The reason is that healthcare in this country is outrageously expensive and will send you quickly into debt if you are not ready for it.

Travel insurance will not suffice long-term, so be sure to look into health insurance! I have some advice here on which health insurance you can use if you’re new, or are not covered by health insurance elsewhere.

Insurance is important and very personal, so be sure to read carefully what you are getting, for how much, and ensure that it includes the US specifically.

Green Cards

I’ve put Green Cards right down here because if you’re looking at getting one, you probably already know most of this. But I know there are some questions that most people have so feel free to check out this page for more information and FAQ’s!

Frequently Asked Questions

Does anyone know if it’s 30 days or 60 days after you stop working with your E3 employer?

7th and 8th bullet points suggests 60 days.
– Stuart F. (May, 2017)

I need some advice on what I should bring that shows my ties to Australia. I am only 22 and I don’t own any property so I’m not sure what I can show to prove that I don’t plan on immigrating. Can anyone give me some examples on other documents I can use?

Hey Taylor. I did my in Sydney a few weeks ago. They didnt ask for anything but take what you can: Bank statements (most important), a letter from someone (parents, family) to say you will live with them on your return. I took proof of my superannuation, private health, phone bills etc. If you have a car this is good also as an asset. Good luck!
– Nonie H. (May, 2017)
Bank statements and credit cards, license etc. They may not ask you to prove ties to Australia at all if it’s your first E-3 and you have a well documented sponsorship letter.
Ronald L. (May, 2017)

Does anyone know if having a Visa in my old passport can be used to re-enter the US if I carry the expired passport and my renewed passport through customs? My old passport has already expired. My visa to travel to the United States is still valid but in my expired passport. Do I need to apply for a new visa with my new passport?

No. If your visa is still valid you can travel to the United States with your two passports, as long as the visa is valid, not damaged, and is the appropriate type of visa required for your principal purpose of travel. (Example: tourist visa, when your principal purpose of travel is tourism). Both passports (the valid and the expired one with the visa) should be from the same country and type (Example: both Uruguayan regular passports, both official passports, etc.). When you arrive at the U.S. port-of-entry (POE, generally an airport or land border) the Customs and Border Protection Immigration Officer will check your visa in the old passport and if s/he decides to admit you into the United States they will stamp your new passport with an admission stamp along with the annotation “VIOPP” (visa in other passport). Do not try to remove the visa from your old passport and stick it into the new valid passport. If you do so, your visa will no longer be valid.