With May 18, 2019, being announced as the date of upcoming Australian Federal election, it’s important that we take a moment to work out… how do I vote from America in the Australian Federal Election 2019 and do I have to!?

How to Vote in America (Australian Federal Election 2019)This is all relatively painless, so let’s go through what’s required of you as an Australian Citizen (I’m assuming at least that much if you’ve got this far into this post!

The first thing you should know is that the Australian Electoral Commission’s (AEC) website is really good. So you should definitely go there and read up. But I’ve tried to distill the essentials below!

The second (really important) thing you must know is that close of rolls is 8pm April 18 in Australia. If you’re not already enrolled to vote overseas, then you must do that before 6:30am New York Time, April 18.

Do I have to vote from overseas?

A good question to start on, and as always, it depends.

The AEC says:

If you are overseas and are intending to return to Australia within six years you can register as an overseas elector.

First, you have to think about that and whether you are intending to return to Australia within six years! If you are not intending to return then you should fill out an “Overseas notification form” (and select the second option) and it means:

Your name will be removed from the electoral roll and you will not be able to vote in any federal elections held while you are overseas. Should you return to Australia to live permanently, you may re-enrol after you have been at your residential address for a period of one month.

So, if you are intending to return within six years the next question is whether you are already enrolled to vote or not (to find out, keep scrolling), from the AEC, again:

If you are already enrolled, you can apply up to three months before, or within three years after, you leave Australia.

To do this, you just need to fill in this form, to register as an “overseas elector” which will mean that you will be sent a postal vote.

If you are not enrolled, and have been overseas for less than three years, you may still be eligible to enrol if you are:

  • an Australian citizen aged 18 years or older, and
  • intending to return to Australia within six years.

To apply for enrollment from overseas, you need to fill in this form. You must do this before April 18 (6:30am) New York Time (April 18 in Australia) which is the “close of rolls”!

Do I have to be enrolled to vote overseas to vote overseas?

Nope. You can go straight to the local Consulate and vote even if you’re not properly registered to vote overseas.

You just need to be enrolled.

How to find out whether I’m enrolled to vote

To find out whether you are already enrolled to vote (at your previous Australian address, if you haven’t already notified the AEC), you can head to “Check my enrollment” on the AEC’s website, put in your old Australian address and find out!

If you are enrolled, you really have to make sure you do the above to make sure you avoid any penalties.

Do you have children who just turned 18?

They can register to vote too!

If you are the child of a person who is registered as an overseas elector you can enrol and vote in federal elections if you:

  • have never been enrolled
  • are an Australian citizen
  • are 18 years or older and had not turned 18 before leaving Australia, and
  • intend to return to live in Australia within six years after your 18th birthday.

They just need to fill out a form to Enrol to vote as the spouse, de facto partner or child of an overseas elector for federal elections.

How to vote in the U.S.

If you’d like to vote in person (for New York, keep reading below), check out the AEC’s list of “Planned Overseas Voting Centres to offer in-person voting at the upcoming election

If you have done all the steps above, you will also be posted a postal vote, and you can fill that in and send it back within the time they’ve specified.

Sadly, you can’t (yet) vote online.

How and where to vote in New York City

The Australian Consulate-General in New York (Midtown) will be offering in-person voting for the 2019 Australian federal election. Members of the public must provide photo ID in order to gain access to the Consulate. An ID is not required to vote.

If you are enrolled to vote, you an vote at the Consulate. You do not have to be registered to vote overseas!

Voting at the Australian Consulate-General, New York will be available from Monday 6 May. Voting will be available Monday-Friday, 9am to 5pm until Friday 17 May. Alternatively, you can apply for a postal vote online now at www.aec.gov.au.

About the Author

America Josh

I had a fantastic life in Adelaide and in Australia but thought in late 2015 that it was time to do something new. I handed over control of my company, sold my house, car, and even gave away my cat (“Aslan”) to start on my journey to New York.

I arrived in New York on January 10, 2017, from Adelaide, South Australia and in March 2017, I started America Josh to help make the transition to the US from wherever you’re from just a little bit easier.

Keep reading