It’s almost the end of February, and outside it’s just a little bit gross. So how about something delicious, something tasty, something fun, and something smart? Restaurant of the week This week some friends and I were invited to visit … Read More
- Memberships & ID
- Proof of age card (New York State ID)
- Drivers License
- Social Security
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Latest from the Blog
- NYC Venues & Things-to-do of the week (February 28, 2018)
- How to meet people you already know as an expat when you move overseas
- Why (and how) you should update your emergency contacts as an expat abroad
Proof of age card (New York State ID)If you now live in the United States, have an address, and have a social security number it is of great benefit to go get yourself a state ID. This is a proof of age card and means you can leave all of your Australian ID safe and hidden at home. It’s a relative simple process (if the DMV’s website works) but will probably take a few hours out of your day. Here’s everything you need to know:
- Go to https://dmv.ny.gov/id-card/bget-non-driver-id-card-ndid on the NY DMV site as this contains a comprehensive up-to-date list of everything you need to do;
- Download the MV44 Form and fill it in carefully;
- Head to the DMV Online Reservation page and select:
- Make a reservation;
- Midtown Manhattan (or another closer one);
- License or ID;
- First Time NY Identification Card;
- Select a time (sometimes this page takes a LONG time to load, you may need to try a different browser a few times);
- On the day of your appoint, you need your:
- Print out (or phone version) of your appointment time reservation;
- MV44 document;
- Social security card;
- Proof of identity and date of birth;
- Approximately $15;
IDNYCYou may have seen this card around the place, advertised in subways and at bus stops. This is, in effect, just a deals card for people who live in New York City. It can not get you into bars and is not a proof of age card. Don’t make the same mistake many have made. It’s free to get after you have your social security card and is totally worth it for cheap movie tickets, free ferries, free museum access and more. Just head to their website to sign up.
Drivers LicenseTurns out, getting a driver’s license in New York is actually relatively difficult. If you’ve been in New York more than 30 days, you do need to get a license in order to drive. If this is the case, you will need to (from Damien M. on Facebook):
… You have to do the whole test again, sit the test for the L’s do a 4 hr video course and then to your drive test, depending on where you live in the city, driving schools can take take care of the whole thing for you, but do not hand your Oz license in, as its from scratch.So if you need it, it’s going to take some work, but can be achieved if absolutely necessary.
Social SecurityFor everything social security, check out my information page.
Only benefits are that u can own/lease a car (depending on dealership), or finance to help credit history, and u can build car insurance history.. oh and u can use it to travel domestically.
Restrictions aren’t really there but the license isnt valid ‘as long of a period’ compared to US citizens or greeen card holders
Legally once you move to the State of New York you are required to change your licence. Therefore if you were to rent a car here you would be in violation.
But whether any cop would book you is another thing.
Did you know that your iPhone has a special feature called “Emergency SOS”? If you push the power/lock button 5 times quickly (keep pushing, it will appear), it will deactivate Touch ID, and give you the option to enable Emergency … Read More