Did you know that there is a whole list of things you do not need to do in person and can, in fact, do online with the DMV's website? Here's 61 of them!
The DMV isn't a fun place and that's especially so when you only have a little update to make, so here's a list of links to things you can actually do online.
Change address and check document mailing status
This is the important stuff that we all forget to do. There are other VERY IMPORTANT AND FEDERALLY MANDATED things you need to do if you're on a visa when you change address too!
License and permits
Here's the list of things that you're probably going to need more than most other bits.
- Replace license, permit or commercial drivers license (CDL)
- Renew license
- Find vision test location near you
- Renew CDL
- Check driving privilege status and points
- Schedule and take a road test
- Pay for additional road test
I've written a fair bit about how to get your learner's permit by the way! It's not a difficult process but it's important that you study, set up all the documents you need, and take your time when answering questions.
If you've been driving for a while, know that you should use your common sense for almost all of them!
These are handy if you don't want to sit a test yet and just need proof of who are you (without carrying around a foreign license or your passport).
More information about non-driver ID cards.
Driving privilege and penalties
- Restore license after revocation
- Pay suspension termination fee
- Pay driver civil penalty
- Pay driver responsibility assessment
- Pay insurance lapse civil penalty
Tickets issued in New York City
What did you do!? Well here's how to go through the motions if you've received a ticket. If you're on a visa or here temporarily, be sure to check through this as quickly as possible because you don't want to send a routine case that should disappear after you pay an expiation notice into a court that could expel you from the country!
- Plead to or pay Traffic Violation Bureau (TVB) ticket
- Get a copy of a TVB ticket
- Appeal a TVB ticket conviction
More information about tickets, points and penalties.
Some handy extras!
- Sign up to get emails and/or text reminders when your license or ID is about to expire
- Be an organ, eye, or tissue donor
- Register to vote or update voter registration information
- View Fatal Crash Administrative Hearings
Do you own a car? Well there's things here for you too!
Make sure you're registered or you'll be hit with a hefty fine!
- Renew registration
- Replace registration
- Check registration status
- Change address
- Estimate registration fees
See more information about New York State inspection requirements.
Important, so very important. Do not drive without insurance and check it regularly!
- Pay insurance lapse civil penalty
- Pay a suspension termination fee
- Provide proof of insurance
- Check my insurance status
See more information about New York State vehicle insurance.
Do you want a plate that says “AMJOSH4LYF”? You can do that here!
- Replace plates
- Order picture plates
- Order personalized plates
- Check the mailing status of a plate order
- Surrender (return) plates to the DMV (you must do this by mail or at an office)
When you change your address for vehicle registration, they also update the title certificate record.
See more information about New York State vehicle titles.
Other vehicle-related transactions and information
Here are some handy things that can put all the car owners minds at ease!
- Get vehicle record (abstract)
- Check plate order mailing status
- Change your name or other non-address information
- Check if your vehicle has a recall
Receive a text and/or email for your registration and inspections by signing up for electronic reminders.
Your own driving records
Sometimes you will be asked to obtain your driving record (for insurance for example). Here's how!
- Get standard record (abstract)
- Get lifetime driving record
- Get a Commercial Driver License (CDL) record (abstract)
Had an accident? Well here's how to make sure you've got everything you need!
- Get an accident report
- Access a report your purchased online in the past 7 days
- Find statistical crash data
Lastly, there are a few DMV-adjacent things that you can do online which will save you some time!