A version of this question is asked very commonly on all of the Facebook communities so I thought it was a good time to answer. Other versions include:

Does my passport have to be valid for 6 months to enter the US? or

What do I do with an E3 visa if my Passport expires? or

Is it ok to travel with two passports (one expired with my visa and one valid)? or

My passport is expiring, what do I do with my US visa?

So I thought it was best to create one place for you to check.

Does my passport have to be valid for 6 months to enter the US?

According to USCIS: “Visitors traveling to the U.S. are required to be in possession of passports that are valid for six months beyond the period of their intended stay in the U.S. See list of countries exempt from the six month requirement.” We then switch over to the “list of exempt countries from the six month requirement” and we find this document, from US Customs and Border Protection, the “Six-month Club”. In this document we find Australia!

So from this, we can conclude that for Australians, your passport just has to be valid for the extent of your stay. As always though, this comes down to your personal circumstances, and the knowledge of the person at the border when you enter. It is always ideal to play it safe and seek legal counsel, or simply ensure that you have a passport that is valid for some time beyond what you actually need.

My visa is valid for longer than my passport

If you’ve got a visa for a period (for example, a 2 year E3 visa) then there’s a chance that it will expire after your passport does, so you will need a new passport.

The solution that is frequently recommended, and what is found on the US State Department’s website is:

My old passport has already expired. My visa to travel to the United States is still valid but in my expired passport. Do I need to apply for a new visa with my new passport?

No. If your visa is still valid you can travel to the United States with your two passports, as long as the visa is valid, not damaged, and is the appropriate type of visa required for your principal purpose of travel. (Example: tourist visa, when your principal purpose of travel is tourism). Both passports (the valid and the expired one with the visa) should be from the same country and type (Example: both Uruguayan regular passports, both official passports, etc.). When you arrive at the U.S. port-of-entry (POE, generally an airport or land border) the Customs and Border Protection Immigration Officer will check your visa in the old passport and if s/he decides to admit you into the United States they will stamp your new passport with an admission stamp along with the annotation “VIOPP” (visa in other passport). Do not try to remove the visa from your old passport and stick it into the new valid passport. If you do so, your visa will no longer be valid.

So it’s really that simple. Carry two passports at all times. One (expired) with the visa, and one new one for entry. DO NOT try to transfer the visa into the new one!