Planning a trip to the fabulous West Coast in the near future? I have compiled a list of what is currently open and the stages of reopening beautiful LA County.
LA County public health officers are following the State’s six indicators for reopening the economy.
State & County Guidelines for Reopening
The indicators are:
- The ability to monitor and protect our communities through testing, contact tracing, isolating, and supporting those who are positive or exposed;
- The ability to prevent infection in people who are at risk for more severe COVID-19;
- The ability of the hospital and health sys2tems to handle surges;
- The ability to develop therapeutics to meet the demand;
- The ability for businesses, schools, and child care facilities to support physical distancing; and
- The ability to determine when to reinstitute certain measures, such as the stay-at-home orders, if necessary.
California is currently in Stage 2 of reopening which allows retail, logistic, manufacturing, office workplaces, limited personal services, outdoor museums, child care, and essential businesses to open with the modifications that follow public health guidelines.
The timeline for each county to move through Stage 2 will depend on criteria like testing capacity, the number of COVID-19 cases, and hospitalization rates. More information on county criteria can be found here.
On May 26, LA County issued a new health order that provides for the safe reopening of:
- Faith-based organizations to resume services to a maximum of 100 people or to less than 25% of the building’s capacity (whichever is lower)
- Indoor & outdoor retail at 50% capacity
- Flea markets, swap meets, and drive-in movie theaters
- Pools, hot tubs, and saunas in multi-unit residences or part of a homeowners association
On May 29, LA County received approval from the Governor to reopen restaurants, barbershops, and hair salons for in-person services with modifications.
With these new guidelines, the County continues to emphasize the importance of practicing social distancing and wearing face coverings whenever you are in public or in contact with others.
Beaches, Trails & Outdoor Recreation
Many beaches, trails, parks, tennis courts, and golf courses have opened for outdoor recreation. As we welcome the reopening of outdoor spaces and amenities, we must remember to follow social distancing guidelines, use face masks, and heed all public health measures.
Trail users are encouraged to check the Trails LA County website for updated lists of open trails, safety guidelines, notifications, and up-to-date information.
While beaches are open for recreation, the following remain closed: piers, boardwalks, walkways, and beach accessways.
For a list of activities that are permitted on the beach, please click here.
For information on parks, tennis courts, and other outdoor recreation, visit the LA County Parks & Recreation website.